About the Funding
This funding is for live action feature films and TV drama originating and principally managed from outside Ireland which uses Ireland as a location and involves Irish creative elements, with local services provided by an Irish-based producer.
As a guide, FÉ/SI normally expects a 40:1 spend ratio (reducible in specifically agreed circumstances particularly where production is taking place outside the Dublin/Wicklow region to 30:1) between eligible Irish expenditure as defined in Section 481 and FÉ/SI investment, but each project will be treated on a case-by-case basis. The minimum budget for a project applying for funding should be €30 million and the minimum eligible expenditure should be €20 million, reducible to €15 million for regional production. FÉ/SI can only support projects which have 90% or more of their finance in place, are green-lit to go into production within the calendar year that the application is made, and which involve Irish creative elements.
Provided the Irish producer and the overseas producer have a good track record and the creative elements are acceptable, assessment by FÉ/SI will be based primarily on consideration of the economic ‘multiplier' effect of its funding, and of the opportunities for Irish personnel to be employed in key positions.
As a general rule, and particularly when demand outstrips the funding available, FÉ/SI will place an emphasis on:
- Irish employment in all grades
- Projects that can offer employment in lead creative roles including director, key cast, director of photography, production designer, costume designer, editor and composer
- Production taking place outside the Dublin/Wicklow region
- Contribution to Irish audiovisual infrastructure
- Projects that will utilise serviced film studios and post-production facilities
- Spend in the Irish economy
- Projects that will deliver significant economic activity additional to that generated by other Irish funding including Section 481 (tax-based incentive funding)
Because FÉ/SI support for international production is directly linked to consideration of a film or TV programme's economic effect within the Irish industry, the majority of this funding is released progressively during the course of the production upon receipt of cost reports showing that targets of Irish expenditure have been met.
Who Can Apply
FÉ/SI funding for International Production is available to established Irish producers (independent production companies registered in the Republic of Ireland which have an office and staff based in the Republic of Ireland) who are seeking to provide production services to co-produce a feature film or TV drama (single or series) originated and principally managed from outside Ireland, which will use Ireland as a location and/or production and post-production base.
How to Apply
- Please ensure to consult the Production Funding Guidelines 2018 (downloadable from this page) in advance of making a submission.
- Applications can now be made online using the 'Make an Application' button on this page. If you wish to make an application for funding by post, contact 091 561 398 for the relevant application form.
- The FÉ/SI Inward Production Manager must be consulted prior to making an application.